As most of you know a few days ago I finally turned 20. The big woohoo, I'm no longer a teenage moment has come & gone.. but I really don't feel that different. So they say this is the year of adulthood but I'd like to say I'm somewhere between 12 & 30.
From day one I've been gathering my experiences & after 20 years of life this is still the shit that gets me.
Thanks for all the wishes my loves, you made this one of the best birthday's yet.
1. Having full access to a car at 16 fucked me. Getting anywhere without one is a complete & utter mission.
2. Take the risk. Eat some carbs, go for the job and buy new shoes!
3. Not everyone is going to like you. Don’t waste your time on them! Understand that you’re not going to get along with everyone. Stay clear & surround yourself with people who make you happy.
4. Listen to your body. It’s important to understand what your body needs. If you feel tired and run down take it easy. Before you burn yourself out, take a step back and make healthy choices for yourself.
5. People can just be straight up mean!
6. Don’t be a pushover. People will try to walk all over you and take advantage of your generosity, age & work ethic. Don't let anyone else try to define who you are. Know when to stick up for yourself.
7. Learn to love & respect yourself. K, I know it sounds cheesy but it’s true. Once you can respect your needs and love yourself inside and out can you take control of your life.
8. Surround yourself with people who lift you up. Toxic people are energy vampires & you can't fix anyone that doesn't want to be fixed. Build a solid circle of friends & remember quality is always better than quantity.
9. You can always drink too much but you can never smoke too much
10. Volunteer! While it is important to set your rate and know when to take paid jobs. It’s important to get experience through internships, creatives and more.
11. Work hard and play harder. I’m not much of a partier and don’t plan on becoming one. I am very comfortable focusing on my work & waiting for the bigger, better things that life has in store
12. Understand the difference between temporary and long term happiness.
13. Family surpasses blood relatives. Your family will be the most important people in your life but you don't always get to choose who you're stuck with. The people you decide to be a part of your family are equally important. Cherish the ones you love!
14. Take hard lessons & turn them into positive experiences. Shitty things happen to good people! That’s why it’s important to take the negative out of a situation and turn it into a positive. If you see something you don’t like, instead of harping on it, take what you don’t ever want to be from it.
15. If it’s an option, live at home for as long as you can. Ok I don’t mean until you’re 30 but if you have a healthy relationship with your parents, I recommend living with them for as long as possible. *Now remember, these are things I’ve learned before turning 20 but staying with my mom has given me a head start on a comfortable future & I wouldn’t trade her company in for anything.
16. Friends come and go. People get busy, but that doesn't mean your love wasn't real... You have your memories, lessons and experiences to take with you. If you love something, set it free & if it comes back then it's forever. (this is a legit breakup ok?!)
17. Forgiveness is key. Once you truly learn to forgive yourself you will be able to forgive those around you.
18. Be yourself. Don’t hold back (but think before you speak), make funny faces and laugh ALOT.
19. Stop feeling so freaking old. You you're only 20 so start acting like a twenty year old. Take a day for yourself every once in awhile. You've got 60 years ahead of yourself to feel old.
Until Next Time,